Friday, October 23, 2009

It’s about service

Another post from August 2009

 

I had a nice chat with Congressman Boswell’s local representative Greg today (August 25, 2009). He seemed a bit testy but then, I have been riding Congressman Boswell pretty hard as well so I can understand his touchiness. I don’t envy him his job.

My primary complaint is simply that the folks of Benton County deserve the chance to sit and chat with the good Congressman before he votes on the healthcare bill. This seemed to genuinely puzzle Greg. He pointed out that there were over 100 attendees at Sigourney a couple of weeks ago. Really, 100? Wow! Current census records indicate that there are over 600,000 residents of the 3rd district. Are 100 people representative?? I don’t think so.

The call-in town hall seemed to have its bumps as well. I called in, put my name on a list and promptly at 6:30 on the 19th my cell phone rang. I answered and there was a recording of Congressman Boswell expressing his regret at missing me and asking me to call his office, visit his website or subscribe to his newsletter for more information. Nice.

I also reminded Greg that I had invited the Congressman to our community meeting on healthcare on the night of the 20th. Neither Mr. Boswell nor Greg seemed to be able to find time to put in an appearance. We had a good turnout, about 40 folks. And, we heard the concerns of the healthcare providers that take care of us. It is humbling to listen to them talk about their efforts to make sure we all get the best care. Isn’t this who Congressman Boswell should be listening to? Rather than ruling from Washington, perhaps visiting with the professionals in his district would provide more insight.

My conversation with Greg continued for about 15 minutes. He assured me their offices knew of my concerns. No wonder, I make it a point to call at least once a week to share my frustrations with Congressman Boswell’s choices. He asked for specifics on the healthcare bill – I gave him three. But, during this process I realized my frustration had nothing to do with specifics in the healthcare bill. Nor is it important what he said in the town halls he has held (two – imagine that – two for over 600,000 people). No, what it came down to was a simple exchange with Greg while he was writing down a specific issue of mine. “So Bill, you will be satisfied if Congressman Boswell comes to Vinton for a town hall?” In that moment I realized what was off. Honestly, it has nothing to do with me, Vinton or Benton County. It has to do with service.

Congressman Boswell is in service to us, the residents of his district – all the residents. My suggestion was that he hold a three hour town hall in the evening in each of his counties. Greg pointed out it was a big district (yet it is the smallest in the state). It was difficult to get around to everyone. Really? Over the period of a month he can’t get to twelve counties? How about a road show? Drive to a county, have dinner in a local restaurant, have the meeting, have a beer at the local bar or country club, stay with a local constituent, and then drive to the next county the next day? If he were truly in service to the folks in his district, wouldn’t this be fun, exciting, enjoyable? The process of actually chatting with the people you serve should just be a natural part of serving your district, Congressman.

And that’s what’s off, Congressman Boswell – you’re no longer in service to the people of your district. You serve the masters of your party in Washington instead. I find this profoundly disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment